Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #16
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

Points 42,170, Level 100
Points: 42,170, Level: 100 Points: 42,170, Level: 100 Points: 42,170, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Remove the 4 spark plugs. It will make it very easy to rotate the engine. But before doing so, put the vacuum hose down into the head and suck any dirt out first.

Time to find TDC of the engine. This is where the kit comes in. The bar and timing pin. You will need the 18mm socket to rotate the crank sprocket by the nut. You should really consider putting in the timing pin. Very important to use the pin. I didn't. Sooooo, I had to take everything apart again.

The pin is located in the front of the engine behind the cat. I could see it but my big hand could not reach it. If you can, it will take a 13mm deep well socket or wrench to remove it. Then simply get your pin and screw it in.

If not you will have to take the cat off. About another 40 minutes or so. How about I make that another post?

So the pin is in, you rotate the crank clockwise very easy and you feel it hit the pin. Great job. Now take a look at the cams. The slots will be lined up,slip the bar into the cam slots. The tolerance of the slots and the thickness of the bar are really close. It doesn’t look like they will line up but by slightly moving the crank you will get them just right. The bar went into one cam and had to ever so slightly move the crank to slide the bar into the other.

The engine is now mechanically TDC. This is the only way to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam shaft bar now installed.jpg
Views:	6507
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	16152  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin installed to stop crank at TDC.JPG
Views:	5010
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	16153