Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Got Any Rust? Prevention methods..
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
That last rust problem....tough one. Sounds like the hatch needs adjustment....either that or the rear bumper got hit and is pushed upward. How to fix? Maybe touch-up the edge where the paint is rubbed.....but it's likely to get rubbed off again. I'd try running a strip of that door edge guard (the clear tape type)......over the bottom edge of the hatch. Plus keep after it....

I've been taking parts off my Focus...just checking for potential rust problem areas. Took the tail lights off today. That's a bad spot on many cars that leaks water into the trunk area. Mine looked pretty good. There's a rubber boot around the wire harness.....but it looked ok. There are three plastic inserts in the body for the attachment. There are seals to keep out the water, but I applied a glob of silicone grease on each insert before I put the things back together. Should be ok....check the wire boot every few years.

Water leaks in the trunk usually end up by the spare tire.....check it frequently. If anything's wet back there find the leak....