Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How-To flush ATX fluid and change filter
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,975, Level 97
Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Congrats!!!

The only thing I'd like to add is that when you go separating the pan from the transmission, be very careful not to pry with lots of force on the pan. You don't want to bend it so that it won't seal. Most manuals will recommend removing all the bolts, and then hitting the ban lightly with a hammer until the pan loosens/falls off. Well, that's all find and dandy for the guy writing it, but he's not going to clean up the transmission fluid all over the freaking driveway.

My suggestion is to drain as Focusrun wrote, then remove most of the bolts from the pan leaving enough for the corners. Loosen these bolts as much as possible. Then use a plastic putty knife to push in and separate the old RTV.

Everything else is very correct- including the part about searching for a filter kit with a gasket. I expected a rubber gasket, but that one looks like a good one. Yes, you have to remove the cellophane from the adhesive on the gasket, then make sure it's positioned correctly, and stick it to either the pan on the transmission- which depends on which side the adhesive is on. Line up one hole and work your way around.

I know a lot of people here don't like Fram products, but just the adhesive backed gasket alone makes that kit sound worthwhile IMO. Without adhesive backing, use a thin coat of RTV under the gasket, put the gasket on the pan, flip the pan over onto a flat surface making sure that holes still line up, put some weight on it to be sure it's all flat, and wait until it's set in place. 15 mins or so.

Many many thanks to Focusrun for making this HOW-TO with pics!! We'll surely have to add it because we desperately need one for all the ATX junkies out there

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.