Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Could use some help please?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
HA, I was guessing an EGR problem.

DPFE is the short name for what your CEL problem is, and I believe it's related to a stuck EGR- though I'm not completely sure. We have How-To's about changing out the DPFE yourself on Zetec engines. It's very simple to DIY, and the part costs about $50, give or take $10. That will clear the CEL, but I really don't think that it would cause the car to shut off like that.

It could be that the EGR is stuck open, the DPFE monitors the EGR operation, and if the EGR is stuck open then once the engine warms up to normal operating temperature it causes misfires and possibly detonation. Now I don't think that it would cause the engine to cut off like you're describing- typically the ECU would simply retard the timing to compensate for any spark knock.

I think you're likely to have multiple problems. I'm thinking that you have a fuel pump that is near the end of it's life, plus the DPFE problem. You can do the basic fuel pump diagnosis yourself, all you have to do is sit in the car with everything off- radio, wipers, etc. Turn the key to ON, and listen. You should hear a buzzing sound as soon as you turn the key to ON. That's the fuel pump, it should prime the fuel system in less than 5 seconds. If it runs for longer than 10 seconds, your fuel pump is near the end of it's life.

That's only a guess, and that's difficult to do over the internet.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.