Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Track Weekend - RECAP & Great Stories
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58059
What I Drive: 2004 SVT SONIC BLUE EAP

FF Reputation: 1 kens03cobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Going to cut and paste from the SVTPERFORMANCE thread so I can eliminate some of the typing on my end, so you may not fully understand some of the chat in the posts.

Diane and I both thank you all for the nice words, and yes, we enjoy having company and entertaining and I think that showed.

We will be doing this again I assure you.

Car still runs fine, not leaking anything, and going to limp it to Burnt Mills this afternoon if you want to come point a finger and laugh.

Greg, thanks for discussions we have had, I have learned a lot from you guys and still have so much to learn, like when it does not feel right don't do it.

If you recall, we were having a discussion about my brakes just before this session and I should have thought more about it I guess. I was just excited and anxious to get as much track time as possible as the days went on I did feel like I was learning every lap, making better lines, and becoming smoother. At least it felt like I was getting around the track OK.

Now the brakes, this is a totally new set up and acted totally diff than the stock brakes, let me try to explain.

Stock brakes when I get on them had an initial hit and then you could put your face to the windshield if you mashed on them pretty good. Hell, I can do that in Dianes SUV.

Now the new brakes, slotted roters and hawk pads. When I get on them, no intial bite to speak of, and then I could mash as hard as I could and still not get anywhere close to the stopping power it seemed I had stock. So, I am thinking this is a normal characteristic of my new setup and that I need to learn how to use them. There was an earlier lap when at the end of the long straight I had the peddle mashed with all of my 220 lbs and the car still just gradually slowed, luckily enough to afford me to make the turn. I was attempting to explain this to Greg and Dave, both good racers, and we determined they may not be getting them hot enough to work properly. Well, I was heatin them up and the grip was just not there. I went into the turn a lot faster than I wanted to, tried to brake a lil and that just made me drift a lil more to the outside...so I thought front wheel drive I can pull through this so got back on the go peddle...ummm that did not work either.

This is a learning experience, I will be back, I will be more anal about how my car drives vice just sucking up track time. The brakes were just not right in my opinion and it is solely my fault for pushing it. I mean it is really hard to explain, but I could brake as hard as I possibly could and still not dive the front end very much, not good.

Tires were good for those of you thinking of the new Nitto NT01's, once I took lil pressure out the stuck very well in a controlled situation. The suspension is awesome, and Jon's race tune had me screaming.

I am not even sore at all this am, well, my feelings hurt like hell and I feel like a total , but other than that I am well and I can still say I had a fantastic weekend.

Diane was worried, but not mad. had this happened when I was married to the now ex, I would have had medical bills to deal with too

Greg, I am looking forward to seeing what we find in the brakes too, I'll keep you posted.

Looks like this may also be the time to do the needed oil pan and mid-pipe I am sure Billy can make it better and faster even yet to keep up with my mad skills.

Actually Tom, it is already dropped off at the shop as I could not stand to see it everyday sitting here. It is getting mended, and will probably make some improvements along the way. I will be back on the track with a diff brake setup I assure you.

I am so kicking myself now for not having you or Greg, or someone else drive my car and give me your opinon of the brake deal. I found a way to work around the brake issue and ended up getting around the track quite well. However, that did not work on the last session and now I am paying for it.

First time on this forum, lots of good info.

Anyone want a set of EBC rotors with about 500 miles on them?

Ken