Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Poll: What does everyone use to wash their cars with?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #123
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Exactly what you use, and how you do it, depends a lot on the color of the car. I'll never own another black car....unless somebody gives me one. They are next to impossible to clean. And when you're done, they look dirty again in a few hours.

I used to like red cars....but the color fades so quickly where I live, you need to polish the thing all the time.

The easiest colors to keep clean.....white and silver. White seems to hide imperfections, and silver cars look clean even when dirty.

You have a big advantage if you can wash the car in your own driveway......and the wash techniques can be optimized to your own liking. I always wash the car off with a hose every time before I touch the thing. I normally use a much diluted dish-washing soap and a micro-fiber covered sponge.

I never wash in the sun.....and allow it to dry off for a while by itself before gently hand-drying with a micro-fiber towel. For waxing and polishing.....I buy a big package of hand towels at Sam's club......and wash them before use. I usually throw away any towel that touches the ground, or even looks dirty. When waxing/polishing I use a terry-cloth applicator, followed by gentle toweling using a clean towel every few minutes. I wax in small sections, and clean the wax off before it starts to dry.

But there's no single "right" way to do this......it just depends.