Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #16
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovation View Post
Yeah that's true Wee Asp except for the fact that generally speaking, the lower your RPMs at freeway cruising speed, the less fuel you will consume. Unfortunately, the highway mileage isn't where we usually suffer. Look at Corvettes..they're in the mid to high 20's on the highway now thanks to plenty of torque and solid gearing. So sure, we will individually save a penny dropping the speed limit 10MPH, but we will never see a difference in the price of gas because of it. I'm not sure we'll ever see gas drop below $4.00 per gallon no matter what happens from here on out. Unfortunately, driving isn't the only thing it effects..it effects anything and everything.

It's pretty rapidly sending us into an economic depression. The rich may (or may not) get richer, but they will at least stay where they are, but the robust middle class who have spent most of their lives a little bit closer to the comfort line, will really have to make changes to the way they live to offset the cost of things. It's hard to say how it will effect poor families since most of them could barely afford to drive before gas was so expensive. I think we'll see an increase in the poverty rate though.
Exactly my point and you did a much better job of articulating it.

Given the fact that we have a "thirst", a speed limit will have little or no impact on our cultural view of driving....

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock