Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #173
Ubie
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56959
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Ubie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ubie=Newbie

Tried to post in general chat with no luck, we'll see how this goes :)

Hey, just picked up an '03 ZTS to replace my Jeep XJ. Really loved the Jeep forums and hoping i can find the same source of info and camaraderie here. To be honest i wasn't real happy to sell the Jeep, but gas prices got high enough that it made economic sense to buy a smaller car.

As for the car, here's what i got: Silver 2003 ZTS w/63k mi. 5sp, leather, blau stereo, moonroof, heated seats, cruise, fogs and a whole bunch of stuff i can't imagine i'll ever find a use for. It's a huge change from the XJ. Who knew that four wheel IS handled so much better than solid axles . I am loving having a stick again since it's been a long time, and i've been pleasantly suprised at how peppy the 4cyl is around town. I know it will take me a long time to get used to not having the I6 anymore, but i'm more than sure that doubling my gas mileage will make up for it.

So, anything particular to that year and trim level i should watch out for? The windshield wiper relay is starting to go (they won't return home properly), and the tires will need replacing in about 10k mi, but other than that everything seems great. I'm not much of a modder, but i'll probably replace the head unit with something i can plug my mp3 player into, so i'm sure i'll have questions for the audio guys and whatnot.

One important question before i go: OEM tire size is 205/50/R16, is it going to be safe to go to 205/55/R16 without any problems? At that size i can find the much cheaper passenger type tires instead of performance ones, and since this is a commuter car you get the idea. I know with the Jeep even seemingly minor tire changes can make drasting changes with rubbing and whatnot, but i have no idea with these babies, thanks.