Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #25
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWorst View Post
add a wire to the ecu bracket that attaches to the engine bay on the right side...

:)

Will do, I've seen that mentioned somewhere before and forgot about it.

Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
FYI, shielding on a ground wire does absolutely nothing, and is a 100% false statement. To "shield" a wire you have to have a way of grounding stray current (in the simplest of terms). Being it is a ground, where would you ground the shield to? Get my point.
I need some clarification on this point. I buy shielded Cat 5E or 6 cable for networks all the time. Those cables are not grounded. It is my understanding that the "shielding" is simply to reduce the amount of stray signals (electromagnetic interference) picked up or radiated by the cable.

From Wiki:

"A shielded cable is an electrical cable of one or more insulated conductors enclosed by a common conductive layer. The shield may be composed of braided strands of copper (or other metal), a non-braided spiral winding of copper tape, or a layer of conducting polymer. Usually, this shield is covered with a jacket. The shield acts as a Faraday cage to reduce electrical noise from affecting the signals, and to reduce electromagnetic radiation that may interfere with other devices. The shield minimizes capacitively coupled noise from other electrical sources."

Isn't this the same type of shielding we're referring to regarding these cables?

I'm not trying to argue with you, believe me my knowledge level of automotive wiring is worse than a two years olds. But shielding, as described above, make sense to me.

Brad

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 09:36 PM.