Ryedale
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56885
What I Drive: 2002

FF Reputation: 1 Ryedale Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replaced my Rear Upper Control Arms

I have recently purchased a 2002 ZX5.
My car rear wheels had noticeable negative camber. After reading hear about either the aftermarket bolts, or the Ford replacement kit, I opted for the more expensive kit. I am replacing the factory 16 in wheels for some older Focus 15's as I'm trying to improve the ride quality. Picked up four new wheels for $200, and now I'm shopping for some nice Michelin Harmony's to quiet the ride.
This weekend I jacked it up, and removed the two bolts on each side, (using some heat from a regular propane torch helped immensely) and replaced the rear upper control arms. I noticed a remarkable difference already in how the car rolls and even after these new parts the car still displays some negative camber, but the ride quality has already improved.

One of the contributors to this upgrade, was based on my trip to my Fedex store shortly after buying the car. I felt the rear tires after the short trip, and found noticible heating on the rear tires on the inner 2 inches that engage the road. This was after a 6 mile round trip. I know the Eibach bolts would have been cheaper, but I feel better about having the factory replacement control arms.
I compared the two arms, old to new, and noticed about an 1/8 to 3/16 inch difference between the lengths from bolt hole to bolt hole. I torqued the bolts with weight on them (holding the weight of the car with the floor jack on the rear sway bar by the brake drum. Not having a spec I torqued them to 100 ft lbs.

I did not notice a place to adjust tow in on the rears, is there such a thing?

I'll update after the tires/wheels are replace and I get a 4 wheel alignment.

Thanks to all who contribute here.