Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53519
What I Drive: 2008 Red Focus Coupe 5Spd

FF Reputation: 3 Arkaign Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddyslomo View Post
'sniff....it's getting really deep in here....i know this is a focus board, but c'mon !

the mazda 3 2.0L has about a 20 hp advantage over a 2.0 Focus, and the 2.3L has a 30hp advantage

do you really think 200lbs is going to make up for 20-30hp ??? and to even suggest a 2.0L ZX3 can keep up with a 2.3L Mazda3 is absolutely rediculous

and did I really read right that someone in a ZTS thinks they were outhandling a Mazdaspeed 3 ????? and only in a straight did the speed 3 overtake him ???

only real race would be an SVT or ST Focus(2.3L) vs a Mazda 3 2.0 or 2.3L...a stock ZX3 is going to get smeared...you were either facing an absolutely horrible driver, or the person you thought was racing, didnt even see you !!!
Eh?

Again, from Edmunds :

2008 Focus S 2.0 (Cheapest) 140hp / 136tq

2008 Mazda 3 2.0 (Cheapest) 148hp / 135tq

:) Ooo! 8 HP difference, so impressive. 20-30hp, what? More like less than 10.

As far as 2.0 vs. 2.3, two things to consider, weight and tranny. 200lbs in a 4cyl car *does* make an undeniable difference. It's track proven. You toss 200lbs (or a big passenger) into a 2.0 *OR* 2.3, and take some passes down the track, and you'll see a longer time to reach every major benchmark.

The tranny also makes a huge difference. Having a 5spd means being able to choose your launch revs perfectly (depending on the driver experience), whereas the ATX makes that pretty difficult (outside of doing various things that aren't really recommended). ATX is also heavier than MTX. Further hurting it is the relatively unaggressive shift points usually employed by economy cars like the FoFo and 3.

Track times prove this too