Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Problem (?) after Volant & throttle body install
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
pvjhawk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1710
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pvjhawk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Problem (?) after Volant & throttle body install

Hi everyone! I'm a middle-aged professor experiencing his first car with mods. I just had a Volant CAI and the Focus Central 65mm throttle body installed at my Ford dealer. Great throttle response , but I'm finding I'm having to relearn to use the throttle! What used to be normal throttle usage now can at times lead to me looking like I'm riding a bucking bronco! (please no comments on learn how to drive!) Backing off too quickly lurches me forward! Is this relearning and "bucking" similar to what others have found? Obviously, I don't buck all the time, just when I'm in a bit too much of a hurry and not paying attention to the required new driving style! Also, whenever I'm starting off from a stop light, I find I have to give my car more gas than before the install. Otherwise, the engine dies. Is this normal, or did my installer goof up somewhere? This doesn't bode well for driving my manual in rush-hour traffic. I called Volant, and they say I shouldn't have to give it more throttle to keep it from dying. Focus Central says maybe there's a vacuum or fuel leak at the throttle body. Otherwise, they say there should be no problems. I'd just like to know what "typical" is after installing these two devices, so I'll know whether it's me, or the mods, who need tweaking! My suspicion is it's me. So I'm taking my Focus back to have the tech check it out anyway. This forum is a great place for people of all ages and experiences to help and get help. Right now, I need advice from all of you who have much more knowledge and experience than I have! Thanks for any and all help!