View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
garyk

Fan#: 171
What I Drive: focus race car, stock svt street ca

FF Reputation: 1 garyk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
dying engine

we think there were 3 separate things going on. 1st fuel pump was dying causing sputter on uphills. fuel mileage (!) went way up with new pump we found sat a.m. at dealer about 22 miles away. however still cut out every time i caught the rumble strip in turn 6 leading us to think there is also a short somewhere. and to top that off, we may have water in the tank from refueling in torrential rain friday, that may have gotten into fuel cans. will no more after this weekend at vir. and power steering pump has leak on high pressure side. its not really meant to run hours on end at 5 to 7 thousand rpm! back to fuel pump-i was using a 1/4 tank for every 1/2 hour prctice friday in the rain when i was only running around 1:22 laps and keeping speed to no more than 100 on the straights due to aquaplaning issues on lousy tires. in saturdays race, was running a best of 1:12 and seeing 110-115 at times. used only 1/2 a tank for the race that ran over an hour. so though replacing it did not cure all problems, at least i was back to my usual 10 mpg at race speed.