Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Weighed my car yesterday......
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #104
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquillyB View Post
Everyone knows a while back I stripped my fofo when I started dragging it. Pulled out two layers of DynaMat, the 10K system, passenger seat, back seat, head liner, even cut out extra metal from the trunk and under carriage, everything not neccasary came off or out. With me in it at the dump it weighed 2490, I am 190-200 depending on lunch.

The most stripped focus I have ever seen belongs to TParker so you would have to ask him for his weight. He was the guy that should me where to remove extra sheet metal and what not.
Did you remove your power window and power sunroof motors? Air conditioning?

I'm going to go a little more unconventional in the weight reduction methods (further than just gutting).

The first time I weighed my car it weighed 2,670 pounds with absolutely nothing removed. 1/4 tank of gas or so.

Since then I've removed nearly 140 pounds and my car still has a back seat and full interior. I saved 36 pounds with a Braille battery. It weighes only 11.5 pounds on my scale. I cut 13.7 pounds from my factory hood. I effectively removed 5.5 pounds when I installed the CFM HFC, my spare, jack, rod etc weighed another 35 pounds. I saved an even 40 pounds total with the wheels and tires I'm now using (including lightweight lugnuts).

I haven't even started removing the heavy stuff yet (front seats (putting in lightweight seats), back seats, fenders (replacing with carbon fiber replacements), hatch (carbon fiber), electric power motors, sound deadner, carpet, trim, bumpers (I'll have my own made), sunroof glass (replaced with a CF cover) and the list goes on and on. I will then replace most of my non essential nuts, bolts, screws and fasteners with aluminum and Ti replacements. Some other drilling and cutting.

Wish I could remove the airbags as that is a source of SIGNIFICANT weight but that would make the car no longer street legal.