Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
HTP Designer
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34811
What I Drive: '01 Ugly Betty, '06 Yel 2.5L RWD RS

FF Reputation: 19 HTP Designer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
John, I think about the same thing almost every day. I am really into jeeps and the off road seen as well as the focus. There is an off road buggy called the Rhino (www.rhino-offroad.com) that uses a Honda engine mounted sideways in order to utilize two solid axles in the front and rear. The trans axle is obviously locked with a spool with lockers in the axles too.

The part that I am hung up on is the loss of efficiency in the drive train. Building front and rear cross members is not a problem, but what to use for pumpkins is the question. Basically anything in the Dana crowd is most likely too heavy and will kill anything but a turbo focus. I bought a for 8" last year and then ditched it because I realized the the pinion is mounted too low to the point is looses a 3% efficiency over a 8.8.

I do not know enough about other cars in order to figure it out right now, but I am thinking the center chunks out of a subi with custom axles and hubs.