Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Not all Ford Dealers Know their stuff -READ
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Jeff Wohlt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48943
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Jeff Wohlt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not all Ford Dealers Know their stuff -READ

So I was talking to our friend Mike at Hillbish yesterday on some molding and after a little chatting someting came up about the manual tranny 5 speed...MTX. He mentioned how high cost the fluid was for this tranny. I bought my 05 in May and decided to change all the fluids. I told my Ford parts man what I had and all that and he gave me two bottles of fluid. After Mike mentioned the price I said...heck I did not pay that and he said you better check what he sold you. After calling my Ford parts man...who happens to be a good friend and gives me items for his cost we discovered he sold me the wrong fluid.

I was given XT5QM which is Mercon 5 auto tranny fluid and it calls XTM5QS. So for 7 months I have been running auto tranny fluid. Seems shifting was getting stiffer and harder.

I called my buddy and gave him some crap about it. He gave me two new bottles...without charge and said drain it and change it. So I did last night...what a difference...not only in shifting but noise and also the right stuff is like super synthetic and very slick...nothing like auto tranny fluid.

So, I told him he may be rebuilding a tranny if I have problems with this. Probably shot my self in the foot for future deals but what an idiot.

So the moral...look your own part number up in the manual and go ASK for that stuff. I did not do this and relied on him. This is no small dealer and has one of the best service depts (so we are told, in the Ford dealership network.

Mike, Thanks for helping me out!! I have no idea how long I would have run this before finding out. I try to change this stuff once per year.

Needless to say I was very pi$$ed off and my friend my not be a friend anymore after me telling him how much BS this was that he did not know his stuff.