Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix.
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strlng View Post
Wich problem is this method solving? I'm having trouble with the wiper fuse popping when it's wet. Ford claims they don't know whats wrong..
I think I might. If the Euro Focus is wired similar to the US Focus, then all the accessory wiring is connected via a bulkhead connector behind the driver's inner fenderwell plastic. Remove the wheel, and see if there is a large black hunk of plastic with wires going into it and a bolt in the center. It would be on the firewall. You'll need some dielectric grease, also called spark plug boot grease. Unbolt the connector, wiggle and pull until it separates. If the inside half falls out- don't worry, the connector is sandwiched around the hole in the firewall and holds itself in place- just be sure when you bolt it back in that it is correctly seated or you could have a water leak. Once the connector is apart, clean both sides, and apply the grease. Then bolt the connector back together making sure it's seated properly in the hole through the firewall. You can use silicone around the inside half if it makes you feel better- there should be no problems as a result of doing this on that side of the connector.

The only other problem would be at the connector on the wiper motor which is in the cowl- the section of body (plastic on a US Focus) between the hood and the windshield. Remove this plastic, and you should see the wiper motor, check the connector at the wiper motor, and follow the wiring as far as you can see- inspecting for physical damage. I'd think that the problem would be most likely at the connector itself if this is where it is.

One more thing to check- try using the wipers when it's dry outside. If the fuse blows, then your problem is not the wiring, but the wiper motor.

I hope that helps you- I hate tracing down weird electrical problems in cars.

Nice write-up- sorry to thread jack!!!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.