Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Air horns installed. Pictures and tips.
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 AM   #33
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

Points 26,532, Level 97
Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by Folkus
One thing I'm wondering -- if you lightly tap the horn, does just the OEM horn make a sound, or do the air horns kick in?

But my main problem is, this looks like too complicated an installation for me. I don't understand too many things in your explanation. Like, did you take the bumper off? I don't totally get it.

For clueless people like me, isn't there a non-air-horn MUCH LOUDER replacement for the OEM horn, that wouldn't require a relay, nor any additional wiring, nor any new mounting?
Lightly tapping the horn does activate the air horns depending on the duration of the tap. The factory horn always honks as before except it is a bit more anemic from the compressor trying to start and hogging most of the power. The alarm chirp is extremely short and doesn't allow the compressor to get any air flowing. I couldn't tap the horn manually that quickly as to NOT sound the air horns. I could tap the wheel fast enough to where the horns don't get to full volume though.

As far as the complexity of using the relay:
My other car has the same horns and I didn't remember how I did the wiring so I checked it again. I have the old horn removed and the power lead is hooked up directly to the compressor! It works fine and never had a problem in over a year so far. The directions show a 20 amp fuse after the battery connection. It turns out that the fuse for the Focus factory horn is 20 amp so it is possible that the relay isn't really necessary! I used it because I had the leftover wiring harness from the fog light kit which made it very easy for me to use the relay.

No I didn't remove the bumper at all. I did, unnecessarily remove the fog light grill because I thought I was going to use the space behind it at one point.

Please point out exactly what doesn't make sense.