Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix.
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
mister_bin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50998
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 25 mister_bin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix.

This is a how to on how to fix the Technical service bulliten 04-15-2 the loss of intermitted wipers or loss of park function.

The fix is really quite simple and will only take 20 -30 minutes of your time. Here's what you will need

3/8 Ratchet
6 or 8" 3/8 extension
Reducer 3/8 to 1/4
5/16 socket (if its a 3/8 socket you dont need the reducer)
Needle Nose Pliers
7mm Nut Driver
5/16 Nut Driver (Optional)
Shop Light (Optional)

and of course the relay itself..

Ford Part Number F5TZ-14N089-B

* Note the old part number mentioned on this board 1S42-14N089-AA has been replaced with the above part number *

Step One

Remove Your Fuse Panel door and un bolt the 4 5/16 bolts holding the lower dash in place.. I kicked them loose and the used the nut driver to take them out reduces the risk of a ratchet smacking my dash..

The Red circles show were the bolts are that have to be undone in order to take the panel out

Once the Bolts are done wiggle it out of place and let it rest on the pedals. here is no need to remove the OBD II Port and the Hood Release cable so dont worry about them

Step Two

Your going to want to get a light if its dark or you cant see very well. Next locate the two bolts holding the fuse panel to the steel mounting bracket. Now get your 7mm Nut driver and unscrew those bolts.

Location of both the bolts and the relay. Note the panel is pictured the way you will see it under the dash. So left is the driver door and right is the passenger side.

Once Both Bolts are unscrewed your going to want to squeeze the two plastic tabs and push. With a little bit of wiggling and giggling the fuse panel will pop out. ** CAUTION Dont be to rough you may pinch or pull a wire and thats never fun **

Squeeze the tabs shown above while pushing gently on the top of the panel.

Of the two grey Relays the One on the left is the Rear Wiper Relay R18 and the one on the right is the Front Wiper Relay R19

Step Three

Now that you have full access to the relay you can go ahead and pull it out. R18 is the Relay for the Rear Wipers (Relay Closest to the Door) and R19 is the relay for the front wipers (Closest to your Head Unit) if you are unsure of wich relay is R18 or R19 you can consult your manual there is a diagram outlining the location and function of each relay.

*The Grey one is the old relay and the black is the replacement*\

My Relay way in there pretty tight so i wiggled it out a bit and then got a pair of needle nose pliers to pull her out.

Step Four

To put the relay back in line up the pins and push it back in.. On the Relay there are 3 vertical pins those pins go on the bottom.. Line up the pins support the fuse panel with one hand and push the relay in with the other.

Step Five

To get the fuse panel in you need to first hook the bottom clips the push it into the bracket. Replace the two 7mm bolts snug them down and replace the lower part of the dash...

And your done no more annoying problem...

Last edited by mister_bin; 02-09-2008 at 12:14 PM.