Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Semi-Metallic Pads
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Semi-Metallic Pads

Is it normal for a semi-metallic brake pad to have less initial bite than the OEM pad on our cars? I believe the OEM pads are an organic pad. I replaced the rotors and pads recently. The pads are from Monroe and the rotors are Motorcraft and it just seems like they don't bite as well initially. They are embedded now and have around 350 miles on them and the performance has gotten a little better. I have bled the system 3 times now using the old have an assistant push the pedal down and so on. I have a pressure bleeder on its way from Focussport to see if that helps at all and I have read that SS lines would help firm up the pedal a bit. They do seem to stop a lot better when heated up. I have done around three quick stops from 35 mph and they always stop well and engage the ABS so I have no doubt of their ability to stop the car. It is just annoying when going slow up to a stop sign or something and having this not stoppy feeling. I mean maybe I should ditch these pads and get something different.

And on that note if I did decide to replace them with something else should I have the new rotors shaved to rid them on the old material or does that matter? And as far as new pads go I dont care about dust or noise at all. I just want a pad that performs well under most circumstances. Any suggestions?