Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford Focus 2002 SOHC SPI 2.0L motor: replacement
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, a Zetec would be just as easy to find in a junkyard. The problem with changing over Ford motors, is that you need both the motor and transmission. As far as I know the bolt patterns are completely different between all the engines- so the transmissions are also different. The insides of the transmissions are the same, but not the bellhousing. SVT motors and tranny's will swap up with Zetecs, but the SVT was built off the Zetec block.

For either conversion- and both would be as difficult IMO- you'd need a complete junked car. You must have both the engine, transmission, the wiring harness, and the computer. Not to mention that the extra parts you'd have left over after stripping the engine and transmission could be sold to help you recoup the cost of the car. It all depends on how well connected you are, and how long you can wait. Sometimes deals will pop up in the newspaper classifieds, but the best place to find a deal on a wrecked car is at police auctions or insurance auctions. I'd expect to pay about $500 at most- anything more than that and you'll be spending more money than a used motor and transmission is worth. Keep in mind that you'll also need money for a tow, and have a place to store such a thing. Then, once you get it, you can rent everything else you need as far as a cherry picker and engine stand go.

Beware of vehicles that have damage on the front end. If there is light front end damage, do not get one with damage on the passenger side because that's where the wiring harness and computer are in the car.

If you decide to do it that way, let me know, I can give you some advice on how to go about doing it if you tell me what kind of equipment you have at your disposal- jacks, jackstands, tow truck with boom lift, friend with a car lift- etc.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.