Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How to: Paint your Headlights 2005
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #244
Eleanor Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34501
What I Drive: 2005 LG ZX5 LOTH # 27

FF Reputation: 6 Eleanor Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfire1986 View Post
What's the "no oven" method?

I got the idea by glancing through this thread, instead of heating the headlights in the oven to pry it apart, I just pryed it apart. I started at the bottom and worked my way up the angled side to the top, then using brute force, I started prying with my hands the lense and hosung as I was gently prying with a screwdriver on the flat side of the headlight until it came apart. The trick is to figure out where to pry to eliminate damage to the housing or the lense.

My first attempt destroyed the housing, but the housing was bad anyways from shipping so I did not care(and I had another available housing with a bad lense.) After practice I can get the lenses out and use a heat gun to fix the pry marks on the housings, not perfect but better than the oven method, no potential for spider cracked lenses!

FYI: definitely not a project I would recommend if you are faint of heart and don't have patience, cuz one false move and you may be buying another set.

I wrecked one housing and learned
but I have done 2 sets as of now with a 3rd set in the works

Maybe next I can convince my buddy to let me do it on his SVT HID's

Tools needed:

two flat sverwdrivers
razor knife
strong hands and good eysight
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them! Cosworth CAI & Cat Back Exhaust, 17" Konig Theory Wheels, SAP Package, SVT Parts, 35% Tint, Silverstar Headlights and Front Turns, KYB AGX Suspension, KW Springs