Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Weighed my car yesterday......
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #68
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
I think all the gears are very nicely matched......I would like 6th to be a little bit taller to lower the RPM's for highway driving at 70 and above. Other than that, The tranny is great from my perspective. I can hang in 2nd and 3rd forever in the corners. I LOVE that.
I think being over 3,000 rpm above 70 mph has less to do with the trasmission gears than it does with the final drive ratio. Can you get to 60 mph without shifting to 3rd gear in your SVT?

It's like comparing a 2.73 gear to a 3.55 ratio.

There's a performance tradeoff between both (and pluses and minus's for each). Having a lower numeric gear can sometimes be advantageous on a road course (less shifting) and this will also lower the rpm on the highway at cruising speeds. Also in theory you should be able to hit higher peak road speeds. Having a higher numeric gear will improve acceleration (especially in the first few gears) *if* you have adequate traction. On the street, it's usually wiser to have a middle of the road gear ratio v.s. anything extreme either way.

I honestly have not even looked at any of the published info on the Focus SVT gear ratios, transmission or final drive. I'm just basing my observations on what it feels like to other cars I've driven and owned.