Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Creating A New Intake Manifold
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
FrozenFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41195
What I Drive: 2002 InfraRed SVTF

Points 237, Level 4
Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 FrozenFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heh, I certainly understand what you mean. The DSI manifold does seem like a bit of a mechanical hassle - although the only real problem consistently encountered is the clip breaking on the thing, which has been remedied by CFM with their billet aluminum clip. The thing is, just about everything that could possibly be done to suck an extra tenth of a horsepower or foot-pound out of these engines has been done, very completely, by at least a few owners, and those renovations that work tend to take off and gain popularity rather spectacularly, if they're in the least bit cost-efficient or helpful with the powerband. The fact that we keep running into, however, is that SVT did too damned good a job with most of the engine components to leave a lot of room for improvement with normal aspiration. The stock tune certainly sucks, but a great many of us have had that remedied by one of the fellas that has done everything that can be done to the SVTF and can provide tunes configured for every modification we have done individually. As SVT claims our engine to be the most sophisticated and complex one they've developed, it seems to be true considering what they've done to make the thing put out as much smog-legal and $$-friendly power it can. I guess the thing is that a lot of other mods would have to be done to the engine first to get to the point where the DSI manifold the restricting/problematic component. I'm as excited as anyone else, though, to hear of improvements that can be made - maybe someone's got a magic manifold hidden away under their hood that we still need to hear about :-D
'02 InfraRed SVTF, #2,783/4,788: Tom's tune; JayRacing HFC; Hawk pads; Torsen ATBD; CFM pulleys, mounts, and STS; Screamin Demon & Livewires; AEM-esque CAI; lunchbox hack; EAP rims; 2" German antenna.

For Sale!!