Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Rallycrossed Focus last weekend
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rallycrossed Focus last weekend

We took the Focus to a SCCA rallycross last weekend and ended up not doing too bad. I entered in the Production class as the car is stock except for the intake and cat back exhaust. My son wouldn't let me use his new tires and wheels so i used the half worn out 16" stock P6's.

I finished 19th out of 38 cars. Doesn't sound good unless you know that 19 of those cars were 4wds including over 12 WRX's, a audi quattro, 323 gtx and Eclipse GTX (both prepared rally cars) and several more Subi's. I ended up 3rd in class. The cars that beat me (a Sentra SER and Neon ACR pro solo car) both had limited slip diffs and a few more ponies than the Focus. All in all I was pretty happy especially beating many of the 4wd's including several WRX's. Many of the kids have not grasped how to steer a car with the right foot.

The first three rounds I ran at stock tire pressure. The last three I lowered it 4 PSI and dropped my times 3 to 4 seconds per round. Had I done that sooner I would have had a solid second place and would have been knocking on the door for a class win and a top ten finish.

I do see a limited slip in the future and a set of snow tires for more traction. If there's a rallycross in your neck of the woods I encourage you to go out an give it a try. It's really no harder on your car than a Solo...but in my opinion a whole lot more fun