View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
MattMarks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46203
What I Drive: 2005 ZX 4 ST Spec Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MattMarks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
For a zetec car (and I'm not a zetec expert, so don't quote me)

Bare minimum to go racing other than the cage,

- Spec suspension (shocks/struts/springs- available from Ford Racing or from series sponsors
- Swaybar kit (Eibach or similar) 100% essentially as the car won't turn without a 25mm rear bar
- Rear subframe kit if you don't have swaybar mounts on the car - extra camber is a bonus
- Camber plates for the front struts - LCRacing, Steeda, others? Need to run 2.25 degrees at least
- rear discs if you don't have them - though it may be easier to get the whole SVT kit from Ford - rotors/calipers/mounting brackets. All pre-engineered and bolt on

That'll get you out and racing.

After that, with a zetec car, you're going to want to add

-Ford Racing Cylinder Head
-Cosworth intake
-Race exhaust of your choice
-Cold Air Intake
-Throttle body
- Ford torsen or Quaife diff

Zetecs will make good power, but you need to be able to rev the piss out of them (7000 rpm plus) to make them competitive. My understanding is that the cam in the Ford Racing cylinder head is good for 7800 RPM, but don't quote me on that.

It may be cheaper and/or easier to get an older chassis and swap in a Duratec motor. Prices in the DC area for 2.3 liter motors are between $700 and $1000 for good, mid-mileage motors. Food for thought.

Your local ford dealer can get you all of the above parts, or online vendors like LCRacing, CFM, F2Focus, etc. will sell them at significantly reduced prices from MSRP.

If nothing else, put the suspension on your car - even if it's a daily driver. The lastest iteration of the spec suspension will lower your car more than an inch and a half from stock and the struts give it a nice taught feeling - maybe 10% stiffer than SVT from . Great setup.
Spec Focus Advisory Board - Have a Spec Focus Question? Ask me!