Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ZETEC Engine stumble - SOLVED
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #79
davidas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43812
FF Reputation: 1 davidas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwojdyla View Post
So, I've been having the delightful experience of stumbling at idle, as many many Focus owners are blighted with. It finally got to the point where I was annoyed enough to fix it. So i got into my grungies and started rooting around (deep) under the hood. First I took the upper intake off and cleaned the MAF sensor. The back hot wire was very dirty. That made the problem a little better but it didn't go away. So I pulled into the drive and let the car idle. I opened the hood and started blindley poking around the back of the intake manifold, to see if any hoses were loose. As I'm running my fingers over the PCV hose (just as it makes the 90 degree turn into the manifold), my index finger gets sucked into (into) the hose! I pulled it out cause it scared the crap outta me. But when I covered the hole back up the engine started sputtering. AH HA!! The vacuum leak was causing the hose to fold over itself and the engine wasn't getting enough air from either atmosphere or PCV. So, since it's getting late and I don't feel like going down to Ford to pick up a new part at that moment, what do I do? that's right, Duct tape. worked beautifully. My baby purrs like a kitten once again. I'll post pics of both the failure and the fix when I get the new part.

As an aside, any other Auto/Duct tape stories?
I did what you say.
I replaced the PCV hose that connects to the Intake manifold + a new pcv valve. I bought these at dealer with the part number you gave.
My Focus Ztec is still tumble shaking so bad at stop on DRIVE. However when I put to NEUTRAL, the shaking goes away (reduced). I noticed when on DRIVE, and it is vibrating, I put a little of gaz on the throttle while applying the brakes, the viration shaking thing goes away. Another thing is when I come to a stop after driving at regular speed (60kmh), the car stumble only after 5 seconds on DRIVE at stop light.

What could it be now? The ICV? I do not want to replace the ICV and find that it not solves the shaking. The ICV is almost 80$.

Thanks.