Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Weighed my car yesterday......
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #36
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
It certainly sounds like a worthwhile project if you have the time, the expense and the lack of constraints from a rule book.

I'm interested to see how it works out.

You make valid points.

My comments were made with respect to keeping the car "basically stock".

You are carrying much further than that.

Just curious, with the weight removal project you are undertaking, do you intend to do away with the safety gear as well or add your own?

I would ask that you take that into consideration on your project.
I wish I could get rid of the airbags, but I won't for safety reasons (that and it must pass the visual inspection we have here in Texas. Those suckers really add alot of weight to a vehicle. I'll use the OE front seat belts. I'll explore the possibility of modifying (lightening up)the front and rear bumpers, but I'm not going to remove them completely.

If I could find some carbon fiber doors, that would be cool but I haven't found anyone that offers them. I've found OE looking hoods, fenders and rear hatch that should save considerable weight. There are other ways to cut out weight (by using a hole saw in non critical areas while still retaining strength charactoristics of the material. I will actually be adding a little weight in the form of additional bracing (frame/chassis). This car seems to suffer from alot of chassis flex in stock form. This translates to a sort of "vague" feel to the handling and chassis response. When I'm done the car will feel very connected to the road. I wish there was an easy way to tighten up the steering (it appears to be way over assisted) but some of that is caused by the chassis torsion/flex and relatively soft stock suspension tuning. I don't plan on a teeth rattling ride but I will lower the car using currently available aftermarket springs and struts with better valving.

None of this is going to happen overnight. It will probably take a year or a little longer to complete. first, I need to find another car to drive everyday OR find another Focus SVT to do the transformation with.