Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Need help with Fuel Pump
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Need help with Fuel Pump

Okay, so we replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter on Wednesday. The fuel filter is a Motorcraft and I must admit, the pump was one of those damn cheapies from Advanced Auto Zone for like 63 bucks. The strainer that came with it would not fit into the pump housing so we cleaned off the original and used that instead. It started running like crap after five minutes of idle and then eventually died. We pulled everything apart again and inspected.

It runs now but still like crap. The only way I can accelerate is to baby the throttle. If I stomp on it while in drive, it's starts to bog, buck and surge. However, if it's in park or neutral it'll let me red line the rpms without issue.

I've had the EGR blocked off for about a year now due to a bad DPFE. I plan on getting an EGR delete. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Tomorrow I'm going to check the spark plugs and replace the wires with my stock (i'm broke right now).

The reason for replacing the fuel pump is I had the usual symptoms of a failing fuel pump but my car is not under the recall (had Mike look it up for me). It started running like absolute crap this past week so that's what prompted me to replace it. I may pony up the bucks and get the actual pump from Mike.

Is there anything else someone can give me pointers to check or troubleshoot?

Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _