View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
gthang
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some "world" car the Focus is. Back in 1999, the Focus was Ford's World Car, a car to be sold everywhere. A similar thing happened with the Mondeo. The Mondeo was released here as a Contour back in the 1990s, and competed against the cheaper, same-class Taurus. This ultimately led to the Mondeo's demise in the US, which leads to the Focus being born.

The Focus "world" car is certainly not a world car, as the North American versions are still in the MarkI chassis stage, while the rest of the world gets the sweeter turbodiesel powered Mark III versions.

However, with CEO Mulally at the helm, he wants to bring more of the Foreign models stateside, hopefully with better outlooks for both sales and the company itself.

With all the American drivers ooohing and aaahing over the current 2007+on Ford Mondeo, I wouldn't be surprised to see it make it's way stateside. But I would be surprised if they don't.

Car&Driver magazine had this to say about the current Mondeo: "We [America] get the Fusion, which we like. The Europeans get the Mondeo, which we want." Couldn't have said it better myself. The new Mondeo is currently near the top of my list of Favorite cars. It's just gorgeous. If Ford NA doesn't bring it stateside, I'm moving to Europe!