Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Front end suspension noise (clunkes, rattles) fixed
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Front end suspension noise (clunkes, rattles) fixed

My 2003 focus started making these horrible sounds, but after several suspension checks for loose nuts and bolts, I was lost...

Then I read up on the life-span of the front sway bar end-links. My focus has 90,000 miles, but started making the sounds at 82,000.

If your focus makes the horrible sounds at 2-30 mph, or uneven road-surface conditions, but seems fine on open high-way. check the end-links , I'd recommend replacing them.

I looked for some, quoted at Ford dealer-ship for $38 per side... went to Kragen, they had it in stock for $37 per side, then auto-zone for $25 per side.

But these OEM-like brands like "duralast" and something else...
I searched on ebay, but didn't find any that I wanted to buy, however ebay.co.uk (love this site), had then for $45 for both to my door.... 4 days later... (from the UK, obviously.... Fast compared to UPS)

Well here's the pictures.
BEFORE

AFTER

The stock end-links were torn and abused, grease oozing out some tiny slits in the rubber... Installed the new ones and BAM! all suspension noise gone... my Focus sounds like a normal car driving down the road.

I was thinking it was the Ford dealer-ship on the way they installed the brake lines... I had them looped into the bushing on the strut, but developed leaks, the Ford tech assured I had installed them wrong, so whatever... it works.