Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thumbs up Swaybar On 2007 Ford Focus

Website with the brackets...
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-JA~DL22443.htm

well, after months of searching, trying to devise, manufacture, and just plain throw something together, I finally hit upon the perfect perches to weld to the subframe to mount the damn thing. seems ford in their wisdom doesnt weld the perches to the subframe anymore unless you order the car with a swaybar.
I happened to stumble upon the exact part needed in of all places the trailer section, specifically the jack area.
seems the bolt on jacks have a kit with the long bolts and 2 plates. after checking that the width was 1.5" i bought them, nuts , and bolts. the plates already have holes in them and guess what, they line up with a stock bracket perfectly. now granted, these plates are long. but its simply a matter of bolting the sway to them, marking and cutting off the excess. this is some pretty heavy steel, so unless you want to get worn out i wouldnt suggest a hacksaw.
now, remount the sway to the perches and follow along...

the pic has them mounted to the swaybar.
3/8x1" long bolts (flange bolts if you can find them)
3/8 flange nuts (these work best to tac weld)
mounting plates for a toungue jack on a trailer
A buddy with a welder helps out a bit too
total cost- $4 for the plates about $1 for the nuts and bolts in bulk

perches came in the bag, notice the nice lip, its important that it allows room behind for the nut. 2 swaybar endlinks also.

notice how the bolt sticks out of the nut and past the flanges on the perch, this is kinda important and you'll see why in a sec. (don't mind the paws at the top of the pic...lol)

tac nuts with swaybar bolted to perches, then place swaybar ends on top of bottom suspension arms. top bolts in the perches will go into holes in subframe. lines things up nicely that way. now, hold the assembly up and tack each side of the perch fairly solid, then unbolt the swaybar. proceed to solidly weld and you have this...

Hope this helps some others out. now, i just need to clean things up and give it a shot of paint.
this mod gave a tremendous handling change. a whole lot more solid than it was and it doesn't drop the rear while corning anymore.

Last edited by goinloco1; 11-15-2008 at 02:27 AM.