Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Water Inside the car WTF!!
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,590, Level 98
Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OH, second thought. Use four or more nuts nearly all the way off the stud when loosening the window. Ford's sealant remains pliable forever, but some of the other window sealants available dry semi-hard and are suceptible to leak over time. If that window was ever replaced after the factory it is very likely that a different (cheaper) sealant was used. Over time, vibration loosened the seal, and you now have a slight leak that will only drip when water has sat on the leak area for some time. That's why you can't find it by soaking it with a hose. Use a lawn sprinkler and let it sit for an hour or so- you'll find your leak then if I'm right.

If that sealant was used, it will require MORE pressure to loosen, and could very likely pop off at once which might break the studs if you have only 2 nuts holding the window. It will also be more difficult to remove from the body of the car. You might need a razor paint scraper- just be careful not to scrape paint where it will be visible. I had one window like that on the Aerostar. Scrape off as much as you can- you probably won't be able to get all of it off. Chemicals that can remove the sealant, remove paint. You might want to get some primer or Rustoleum paint to cover deep scrapes- although excess sealant should do the trick.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.