Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How are people cleaning their throttle bodies?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How are people cleaning their throttle bodies?

I just tried cleaning the throttle body on my '01 Zetec at 62,000mis. It was pretty gunked up. I used paper towels soaked in Gumout throttle-body cleaner (guaranteed not to harm the teflon coating on the throttle body) to get the ridges and crud out of the throttle body where the throttle plate comes to rest at idle. The edges of the throttle plate were also awful. I have a much smoother idle now.

My question is this: there is still a lot of gunk remaining in the throttle body below the throttle plate, and on the bottom of the throttle plate itself, that I can't get at without removing the throttle body from the manifold. Is there a gasket or a reusable o-ring between the throttle body and the manifold? What are other people doing to clean the throttle body? Just spraying cleaner in there does not work on accumulations like I had. Are people successfully removing and replacing the throttle body reusing the manifold-to-throttle body seal?