Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - no harmonic dampener?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

If you look closely at the Factory balancer it has a thin piece of rubber made in between the crank hub and the outer pulley this helps to fight "Harmonics" in and through the engine. If the Ford engineers felt that one wasent needed then they would of installed a solid "Crank Assy drive Pulley" much like the Lima 2.0 , 2.3 , 2.5 (Pinto) engines were
I have looked closely. And I have pointed that ring out to the Said Sayer of the phrase above, in person nonetheless. It was simply denounced with the "internally balanced" arguement. Well, I may ONLY be a junior in engineering at the famed University of Illinois, but I still know for sure that parts dont have strips of rubber in them for nothing. And I know for a fact that after a lot of miles, an engine is no longer internally balanced. This is called "wear". lol

There WILL be a resonance frequency (some RPM, will be different for all motors) at which the crankshaft WILL experience major vibration, no matter how well some computer supposedly balanced the motor.

For financial reasons (yes, I really am THAT poor, plus its 100 bucks for 1 hp!!!) and for crankshaft safekeeping, as of today I have jumped on the "dont get a udp" bandwagon. Hell, we can use my wagon as a bandwagon if you guys want.

Said Sayer of the phrase above, let's not let this get between us ok? "its your engine its your decision" leave it at that.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!