Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46135
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver ST3

FF Reputation: 5 myfocusrocks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
How To: Remove the 05+ Speedometer Cluster

Sorry this is my first How To... I havent come across one for the 05+ Focus, so I decided to do it myslef. Im in the market for a full cluster, and wanted to make sure I could get it out before I bought it.... So here goes...

Step one... You must remove these four screws. In doing this, the entire light grey piece will be freed, allowing for access to the screw behind it. I just let it sit on the floor and didn't bother taking the plugs out of the back of it.. (ex.. the engine diagnostic plug, and hood latch) Just be warned that there is a little metal clip right below the headlight switch that fell on the floor when i first removed it... that took me a little bit to figure out where it came off of.

Step two... This is the easy step. Just remove that one screw, and the whole speedometer surround is now free.

Step three... Be warned when doing this step, the speedometer surround is pretty straight forward to remove... It just pops right out (I would start at the left corner by the headlight switch, that went the easiest) However, there are little metal clips that are holding the surround to the rest of the dash, and when you remove it, if your not paying attention, the clips will scratch the front of your cluster up (I was lucky that it only did it at the bottom where it cant be seen) The whole section in the picture comes out, except for the actual headlight switch. There is one wire though that you have to unplug, and that is the trunk release. (Its just a small plug that comes right out)

Step four... Here is another straight forward step. Just remove the four screws that are pointed out, and the cluster is free. The bottom two screws are a little tricky to get out, but it shouldn't be too bad. Then just unplug the cluster, and pop the new one in. (When you do unplug it, if your battery is hooked up, your emergency flashers will come on)

Then when putting it all back together, just reverse these steps. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

I hope this will help some people out. Like I said, I hadn't seen one on here, so I decided to make one as best as I could. I didn't put in a new cluster yet, again like I said, I just wanted to be sure I could get it out with no problems.

-Dennis