Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How To: Adding an OEM Tachometer Cluster on a 2005-up
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #59
remusrm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1250
What I Drive: 09 MS3

FF Reputation: 1 remusrm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtunerdotcom View Post
How to change Speedo Clusters from Non-Tach style to Tach style on a 2005 in 10 Easy Steps:

Estimated time: 30 minutes max.

1. Purchase a Speedo/Tach. In 2005, the instrument clusters were changed in wiring and construction, making it mandatory that a 2005-2006 cluster be used (2000-2004 will not work). I purchased my cluster at car-part.com for $85 shipped.

2. Disconnect the negative cable on your car's battery.

3. Tools needed: 7mm combination wrench, 7mm and 8mm sockets w/ ratchet or nut driver.

4. With the 8mm socket, remove the two bolts on the lower dash trim, at about steering column level. The whole panel does not to be removed, so you can leave the lower hood cable, OBD2 plug, and attaching bolts alone.

5. Pry the lower trim panel back on the far left corner to gain access to the single bolt securing the dash trim, located right below the headlight switch.

6. Remove the bolt with a 7mm combination wrench.

7. Now it's time to remove the instrument trim panel - it just tugs loose. Once it's free from it's clips, disconnect the rubber flap that sits between the steering column and the trim panel. It's held on with rubber nipples that fit in slots on the trim panel - just pull them out one at a time.
Then, disconnect the electrical plug on the Trunk release button. The button pops out easily too. The trim panel should now be ready to lift off.

8. All that's left now is 1 plug and 4 bolts. Remove the 4 bolts attaching the cluster to the dash, and disconnect the plug. The plug latches like a basket handle - just pry up the black handle and the plug will seperate from the cluster. To plug it back on, push the handle back down and it will suck the plug onto the speedo cluster's socket.

9. I found that if your car does not have ABS or Traction Control, the cluster will illuminate the traction control, abs, and brake warning lamps whenever the key is on. To avoid staring at them lit up all the time, I remedied this by removing the upper lens and bezel from the actual speedo cluster and applying black tape over the offending led bulb lenses. When I put the bezel back on, it became impossible to tell they were permanently lit. The only down side I can see by doing this is the Brake warning lamp is now inoperable so if you're one of those who drives away with your emergency brake on or you don't check your brake fluid level periodically, this mod might not be for you.

10. It's time to install the cluster! Just put everything back on in the order it came off and you'll be done! Go enjoy!

Rob

i did this and the abs light does not work... even did the test to see if all the light work on the cluster and they do, but abs does not show when i first turn on the car... what could be wrong... the car did not have the abs where the cluster came from?

BUT NOW I GOT A MS3!!!
294hp/356tq he he:-)