Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Day 1

Start time: ~12pm
End time: ~12am

Removed stock exhaust manifold.
Fabbed the ambient air inlet elbow from 2.5" mild steel tube and a 2" (more like 2 1/8") flat exhaust flange and painted it.
Welded the turbo manifold, T3 flange, and tack welded the two together to double check fitment. (ok more like 100x check)
Mock fitted the intercooler.

Issues:
The turbo's exhaust elbow is going to be a pain, and definitely not optimal angles. Good thing I'm using 3" tubing.
The power steering line (plastic) runs right where I want to mount my intercooler.
The turbo compressor outlet is about 1" away from my heater core coolant lines. They'll get rerouted so I'll have more room to allow for engine movement.
There are two plastic air redirectors, for lack of a better term, on either side of the radiator and I was hoping to just remove them for intercooler room.
Upon further inspection they look more useful that I thought.
Looks like I'll be cutting them to accomodate the intercooler instead of just removing them.

Nice suprises:
After welding the header and T3 flange together I mounted it and the turbo together to make sure everything still fit nicely, especially the ambient elbow.
I seemingly had more room after everything was welded.
I know there's an explaination, but I'm just happy the ambient elbow still fit!
Rustoleum 1200* paint is awesome. After around 6 months and thousands of miles it's still on my exhaust manifold like the day I sprayed it on!
The only thing flaking were places that were not properly removed of surface rust.
[I did this experiment solely to decide between Rustoleum and Duplicolor Ceramic high-temp paints to paint my header and turbo]
I say Rustoleum wins, but the Duplicolor is darn close.
Surface prep before painting is everything!

PICS

Note: I have 2 turbos: 1 with 70k miles that's dirty and ugly and needs rebuilt.. that's what's in the pics and what I'm test fitting with.
The other has only 30k miles and looks great.
That one will be in the "final install before tune" pics!

Ambient elbow (fresh air side of turbo)

Elbow painted and fitted:

Header tack welded and flange opening cut:

Header welded. Will get cleaned up a LOT before install. And painted.

T3 style flange:

Intercooler test fit:

Last edited by sporadic; 09-05-2007 at 09:58 AM.