Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Looking for new tires for autocross
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #18
Fogrider
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41764
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Red rally car

FF Reputation: 1 Fogrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have autoX-d on both the tires you mention, but in STU on appropriately prepped STi's. My buddy got the 615's and I got the -01R's. After initial break-in, his seemed to provide more crisp feedback on turn-in, but this advantage seemed to go away quickly with heat cycles. The 615's soon became obnoxiously loud and their wet adhesion never came close to the 01R's. I am happy with the Bridgestones. I also can't believe how well they have worn. I run -2.5 front -1.5 rear camber and zero toe. From the above, my vote for a daily driven autoX tire between these 2 would be the 01R.
That said, consider sizing. A narrow rim impinges a tire's ability to provide a wide contact patch. The width of the contact patch doen not increase linearly from 205 to 215 to 225 to 235 to 245 on a 7" wide rim. On my SVT Focus rally car (Production class) my tarmac set up is 1993 OEM 16" SVT Mustang rims with 225/45/16 Yokohama 048 R-compounds. This works great with the tall gear ratios of the Getrag and still fits over my SVT brakes.
Price: Tirerack has 225/45/17 -01R's for $125 with no rebates applied (I can't remember the date on the SCCA rebate cut off.) This is a lot of tire for this price point.
my $0.02