Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Alignment and Tire Pressure for Auto-X
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #30
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
Personally I've never AX'd but I have had the joy of running on a road course (VIR) and I saw guys in Focus's with pretty much STOCK suspension setups that would just amaze you... even with 300whp (at the time) my POWER wasn't enough to keep up with their skill.... it was a learning experience for me.

Experience is the greatest thing that will help you, even though you have gotten some really good advice from the other guys on here.
I know what you mean.

I swear on my Mother's eyes that this is a true story...

At Summit Point they have a weekly event called "Friday at the Track" or FATT. Basically, it is an open event where any car, any driver can show up and do hot laps with an instructor or solo (if their experience permits it).

A true novice had a really modified RX7 (3rd Gen) and was being instructed by my friend Charlie.

After the 2nd session (with 2 more to go) Charlie told the guy that he wasn't going out with him unless he listened. The guy coped an attitude and basically complained that Charlie wasn't giving him his due. Charlie, in front of the student, told the track marshall that the RX7 driver was unsafe.

They came to an agreement. Charlie agreed to let the guy go on his own and they would but a clock on the RX7 driver. Charlie would go out in his car. Whoever turned the fastest lap time had the final say.

...RX7 driver was faster - RX7 driver was able to solo.

...Charlie was faster - RX7 driver had to unconditionally listen to Charlie in order to continue.

Charlie had the better lap time by nearly 3 full seconds.

Why is this important?

Charlie was driving a diesel VW Rabbit...

Honest to Pete a true story.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock