Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - REGISTRATION OPEN!! Summit Point August 4-5
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is a carry over from when the local chapter did not have their own insurance policy for track events.

About 4 years ago, the parent Benz club decided that with the exception of National Events, all local chapters were responsible for putting up their own insurance policies.

This placed a huge burden on the local chapters and many elected to no longer do driving events because of cost. For example, Summit Point requires that clubs using the track carry a minimum of $2 MILLION dollars in liability insurance. That policy costs the GWS section about $4000 per year. That's a big chunk for a not for profit organization.

VIR is much more expensive which is why Benz partners up with Audi and BMW for their annual event. They share the cost of insurance and the track rental.

As for the maintenance check sheet, you can download it from the site, it will cost you at most $20 to have a tech look over the car and sign the sheet.

For those who do their own maintenance to the car and their own prep, a lot of people simply have a friend sign the document. I don't condone this, but there is no way to prove otherwise.

Race cars do participate in these events, but are exempt from the inspection, but have to have their log books on hand as a form of record.

Hopefully, this is not a deal breaker for people. This is a really good deal as far as track time goes and Benz puts on a VERY good event. As good if not better than SVTOA.

The drivers tend to be more conservative, there are fewer cars on track at a given time and most are true enthusiasts. How often do you see someone who owns an $80,000 + car willing to put it on a track?

That alone is worth the trip to watch these cars doing what they were truly designed to do.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock