Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - HELMET BUYING GUIDE - How Much is Your Noggin Worth?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My apologies for not posting sooner...I was out of town for Father's Day.

A couple of things.

1. You DON'T need to spend $1000 for ahelmet. As the article indicates, decide what kind of activity you intend to pursue and go from there. For AX an "M" Certified helmet is more than sufficient. There are also manufacturers like HJC that offer reasonable helmets for less than $200.

2. Buying online. This is a bit of a concern because you will not know how the helmet fits until you try it on. Each manufacturer sizes differently. So, your best bet is to try on a helmet and go from there. If you can accurately size your helmet in person, then buying online is less of a concern.

A quick story. A good friend of mine who had a marginal interest in motorsports wnt to WAL-MART and purchased a no-name $78 dollar helmet for use on track and in AX. He failed tech inspection because the helmet was not up to certification standard because it could not be proven.

He returned the helmet and bought an HJC. For $40 more he was able to purchase a certified helmet at a reasonable cost. Since he is only marginally intereste, his needs for AX were met and coud also participate in track events.

$140 was all his budget will allow for at this time. So, take that into consideration as well.

However, heed the advice of the article in going too far on the cheap...

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock