Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - What sorts of problems has your Focus experienced?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #11
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Biggest problem so far was having the shifter linkage snap inside the transmission, I guess it was a design flaw in 2000-2002 where all the stress of shifting was put on a tiny 3/32" pin in the shaft, and after 60,000 miles worth of shifting it finally popped. I was able to move the shifter in circles. Since I was out of town at the time and about 100 miles from home I was forced to take it to a dealer and have them fix it to the tune of $850 (and I had just driven out of my extended warranty a few weeks before that happened...should've gone with the 100,000 mile option.)

Other than that, I've had a handful of other small problems, some caused by me, some were a result of Ford being stupid and some a result of general wear and tear. While I was still in warranty, my car was in and out of the dealer because of the shifter popping out of gear in 5th, wiring issues, a dead IAC valve and the infamous fuel pump issue. I also had to replace a bearing and passenger side driveshaft after my clutch install because we mushroomed the end of the shaft while driving it out of the bearing, and the retention nut didn't fit over it and got stripped out while being driven back on, the result of which was a shot bearing shortly thereafter. Overall my Focus has been fairly reliable, no real complaints thus far