Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Auto x Helmets
Thread: Auto x Helmets
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackNBlackSVT View Post
What types of helmets are required for Auto X driving? I'm sure DOt approved but can motorcycle helmets be used or do you need a race specific helmet only to participate. And how about someone who is starting out and not a profeesional competitor.
Correct.

Your best bet is to go with an SA helmet. If you go the M (Motorcycle) route, most big tracks will not allow you to use it. The bigest reasons are construction and the inclusion of Nomex (fireproof material).

The G-force helmet that eventerke showed is good for AX. However, for road course, I would recommend a full face with a collar.

Even in AX, the collar is useful ($25 from Simpson) as it takes the weight of the helmet off of your neck and your head doesn't wobble all over during hard cornering.

I use the new Bell M4. I am a die hard Bell customer and always will be.

I love their slogan. "Got a $10 head? Then buy a $10 helmet..."

The great irony is that Bell is a subsidiary of the American Casket Corporation...

The biggest thing about choosing a helmet is fit. It should be comfortable and squeeze your cheeks (full face) some. All helmets fit differently, so it is important for you to try them on before purchasing.

Good luck !!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock