Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Battery or alternator?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
focusmmuter
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42492
What I Drive: 2002 Mach Audio Edition

FF Reputation: 1 focusmmuter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'll go back to the auto parts tonight. I checked the usual stuff: the alternator connection, terminals, cables; they all look fine. Actually, about a yr ago the car died on me while pulling out of a parking lot. I had enough momentum to clutch start it or however one calls it. When I got home, i checked the battery and it was filled with so much corrosion i could barely see the terminals! I cleaned it all up with baking soda and stuff other corrosion remover. I also installed some rings on the terminal to prevent further corrosion build up. It hasnt corroded since but the battery looks very wet. Maybe the loss of battery fluid is causing it to perform poorly. Dude at the auto parts said shouldnt matter much plus it puts out good volts/amps. Hmmm. My battery light doesnt come on any more. Hmmm. I'll see what they say later today. Most days it will start up fine and the days it doesnt start strong is when I have accessories on after I turn it of thats what leads me to believe that its the battery. But that damn having the A/C on while idling for 20 mins incident leads me to believe that its the alternator!