Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ABS limiting at the track/AX?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerke View Post
I feel like my feel of the brakes feels better

I'm driving in my harness today and using my car instead of a county vehicle when I need to do on-site work.

Not doing any *really* hard braking (street antics = dumb), but I'm finding I can actually hold my leg off the floor and very precisely feel the brakes with my toes.

I haven't decided if that works better than resting my heel, but I certainly like it better so far. Sunday will tell the tale.

Thanks!
HEHEHE...

Glad to hear that the toes are working for you.

As a side note, you may want to consider using your harnesses only for AX.

I've done it too in the past, but using a harnesses in a street car on the street can be dangerous in an accident. It seems counter-intuitive, but the harnesses can cause injury if they aren't properly mounted. Most people use the stock mounting points for the seatbelts with longer bolts.

The problem with this is that without a roll bar or cross member for the shoulder belts, in an impact the belts go taunt and compress the spine into the back and bottom of the seat instead of pulling straight back.

The greater risk is one of "submarining". The CAMLOCK for the harnesses sits just below chest level. If the harnesses are not installed with a crotch belt anchored to the floor, in an impact, the CAMLOCK unit can compress itself into the abdomen and rise up under the sternum. The result is possible broken ribs, punctured lungs or bruised hearts. A lot of people forego the crotch belt because they don't want to drill holes in the floorboard.

Just food for thought, I'm not busting chops or anything.

Don't get me wrong, harnesses are great for AX and track events (if properly installed). Just wanted you to be aware of what you might encounter if (hopefully never) you find yourself in an accident.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock