Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Racing Seat Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It's really not an easy question to answer.

A lot goes into the decision beyond price and "support".

I personally like SPARCO and KIRKEY (their new road race edition is pretty sweet).

That said, before you make a decision, you should really sit in one that is mounted first.

What you should really ask yourself is why do I need it? Are you an AX driver that could benefit from more support? Do you go to track events where the seat can hold you better in the harnesses? Is it for the cool factor?

Some seats have a lot of lateral support, but are extremely narrow. If you are of small to medium build, that may not be an issue for you. However, if you are a little "wide of carriage", then it may feel pretty good for the first 5 minutes you sit in it, but do you want to be stuck in traffic?

If it is for the cool factor, then you will want adjustability. Most race seats don't offer that. They are designed to be in the same position all the time. Is someone else going to drive the car? If so, will they be able to reach the pedals and controls given a static seating position.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but those are some questions to think about...

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock