Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ABS limiting at the track/AX?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
^^^Exactly...you've found the limit.
What tires are you running??

DON'T pull that fuse (46) and expect to stay on track. (or anywhere near on track)
I tried that a month ago at a threshold braking excercise during our test and tune.
While I got out of the hole like a bullet (no TC),
the instant I hit the brakes the car turned 90 sideways since the rears locked up immediately.
Again, I stress...never ever try this on a road course or autocross,
and expect your car not to sustain massive amounts of damage as you leave the course.

The ABS is nothing short of phenomenal on the SVT, especially with the given large rotors.
I'll bet your tires are the limiting factor at the moment, which is why I asked what you were running.
Concur. You found the limit. Tires are also a BIG contributor.

That said. Threshold braking is an art.

Your car demonstrates is highest braking ability right at the point of lock-up or just before the ABS kicks activates.

I am not saying that you do, but most people brake with the ball of their foot. As a result, they are using about 7X the pressure necessary to effectively slow the car.

Try using your toes. They are just as, if not more sensitive, than your finger tips (step on a sharp rock and you jump - put your hand on a sharp rock and you go "OW!"). Using your toes will allow you to be more progressive with your braking and likely not upset the car as much.

A lot of people "heel and toe" using thier toes. Unless you have a lot of time to practice, it takes a while to master. I personally have never been able to get it right.

As for the ABS fuse. WD40 is right. The SVT ABS system is phenomenal. You'll create more problems for yourself by disabling it. Not only from a systems standpoint, but also one of conditioning. Your body (muscle memory) is trained to react when the ABS kicks in. Remove the ABS, not only do you flat spot tires, but your reaction time is slowed as you process how to proceed.

The toes knows.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock