Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - The go faster thread: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 03:34 AM   #6
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
part 2: waiting to exhale.....louder and faster!

EXHAUST

now that the engine is getting more air in, we need to expel the exhaust faster(you know in w/ the good air, out w/ the bad air..), we can do this by upgrading the exhaust system. This involves upgrading to higher flowing, better sounding, louder, and sometimes better and long lasting materials.

figure 1(this is the ZETEC configuration)
source

Catbacks
To do so lets start off w/ the catback, even though its actually a flexblack(see figure 1 for stock focus conifguration) it is still reffered to as catback. This is the rear section which most ppl choose to upgrade for small power gains and sound preference

SIZE DOES MATTER
this is where wereally need to start thinking ahead at our total power goals and how much power we plan to achieve w/ our focus, and how we plan to achieve it. Somone not planning on going passed bolt ons would be perfectly fine w/ your average 2.25" exhaust. However those acheiving moderate gains through large natural aspiration projects, or forced induction, will be better off w/ 2.5" and 3" systems

ZETEC:2.25"
Magnaflow: one of thefavorites among focus modifiers, boasts good quality, a deep mellow tone, and good price, STAINLESS STEEL

MY FORD PERFORMANCE (HATCHBACK)
MY FORD PERFORMANCE (SEDAN)

BOSAL:allows for interchangable tips, mirror polished, STAINLES STEEL

MY FORD PERFORMANCE (HATCH)
MY FORD PERFORMANCE (SEDAN)
MY FORD PERFORMANCE (WAGON)

5zigen: coated steel piping(not stainless) w/ stainless canister muffler and high priced, made in Japan

MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCH ONLY)

JBA: known for decent products, aluminized or stainless w/ polished tip

MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCH/aluminizied)
MAD PERFORMANCE (SEDAN & WAGON/aluminized)
MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCHBACK/STAINLESS)
MAD PERFORMANCE (SEDAN & WAGON)

APEXi:stainless steel muffler, titanium particle powder coated mild steel piping, supposedly quiet

MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCH ONLY)

BASSANI: stianless construction, uses a glass pack muffler

MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCH)
MAD PERFORMANCE (SEDAN)

PACE SETTER MONZA: for those w/ the small budget, system uses corrosion-resistant aluminized steel

MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCH)

TANABE: overpiced stainless

MAD PERFORMANCE (HATCH)