Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - TRACK: Oh The Horror !!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 AM   #46
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
a couple posts back someone was relating a few stories about how experienced drivers have over corrected and lost it into a curb/berm/fence, etc.

IN my experience driving I have almost lost it many times, But when things start to go bad, I focus on saving the car (and myself), not on saving the run. Its when people who end up at 11/10ths try to save their run, by major steering corrections to get back on course, that they end up over correcting and totally screwing up. I've had many DNF where I save my self and the run be damned. As much as there MAY have been a problem with course design (i wasnt there, and sometimes its not balck and white). I still lean toward gross driver error for this accident.

One way to look at it (not the only way, but a good point of view) is the way the FAA does. I've heard crashes referred to as "Controlled Flight Into Ground" (ie - nothing wrong with the plane). If there is no mechanical problem with the plane then the FAA considers the cause of the crash pilot error . Rather harsh judgment in some cases...
Saving your butt rather than the run is a great priority!